courageous

banner

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Shingles, peas and icy roads...

Isaac came down with a nasty case of shingles about a week ago. The rash started after a full day of playing outside so we didn't think much of it and we were leaving for the weekend the next day. It progressively spread and got more painful. It didn't itch as much as there was increasing pain. This picture shows part of it but it goes around to his back. In this picture the blisters are scabbed over and it doesn't look so inflamed but just 4 days ago it was bad for him. I was going to the chiropractor and he is also our expert on all ailments so I took Isaac with and Dr. S. knew what it was immediately by the path it followed along the nerves. He tested him and he is on drops for the virus causing this. We also checked out EarthClinic.com and found how others have dealt with it and after several applications of Apple Cider Vinegar and 4 days on the drops I am happy to say Isaac feels normal. The pain is gone and he can move and function normally. I know shingles can really affect your life and by the stories I read some people deal with them off and on for up to 20 years. Dr. S. said he'd treat Isaac for the next 4-6 months to make sure the virus is under control. Praise the Lord for the knowledge God gives!
Here is a picture of my new ice pack. I guess the trip down the water slide wasn't such a good idea for someone as out of shape as me! I had crunched my neck in the van the week before but when I tried to slow myself down on the water slide by putting my arm up I hit my elbow pretty hard and it compounded the neck injury I already had. I have been to the chiropractor three times this week and have to go next week too! It is progressively getting better but the pain and stiffness is still there. Dr. S. recommended peas because they are cheap and easy when you are out of your home and need to ice something. I love them because they move around my neck unlike the hard ice packs we have at home.


The first adjustment caused me to cry out and sob. I cried for about an hour. Moriah was worried because she hadn't seen me like that before. I have NEVER been in such pain in my life. I've been in two roll-overs (over 200 stitches once), gave birth 8 times and various other bangs and bruises but cannot recall this level of pain. Each time he adjusts me it gets easier to bear. Yesterday, Kevin went along to get an adjustment too and we drove on icy roads and blizzard conditions to get there but it was worth it just to have a little more range of motion. We saw many cars in the ditch and barely made it through the streets of Valley City for the slushy conditions. The people of that town are fighting flood waters and didn't need this hassle.


Thankfully we are on the mend and even though I could do without the disruptions to my week, I saw my older kids fill in the gap and help kids get their school done. Also, thankfully, we are almost done with school so a few unproductive days doesn't hurt right now. I have three kids done with math and 2 almost! Jordan got in some driving practice because she drove a couple times so there were some positives. Hopefully all your weeks were less eventful. Blessings!

No comments: