courageous

banner

Monday, June 14, 2010

My life...

The kids helped me today. We weeded this garden. This is now our "main" garden. It was pretty fun. You really have to learn to deal with kids who "don't do anything!" Gideon likes to walk around, make tracks in the dirt, pretend he's doing something but really not. Moriah can't weed if you are talking which we talk most of the time. Isaac told us all about how horse flies lay eggs on horses or humans, particularly in a sore. This news made Rebekah nearly quit weeding because I kept getting bit by horse flies and she was becoming terrified they would lay eggs on her. We had just seen a toad with a large sore infested with worms of some sort, very disgusting!
This is the first year I used a string to plant my rows. Looks pretty straight!

Over 600 onion bulbs. This is what needed the most weeding. To the left are potatoes and watermelon in the plastic area between the two rows of potatoes. To the right are beets and then cabbage. I read that watermelon does well planted with potatoes if the potatoes are mulched well. Tomorrow I hope to put the straw down now that it is all weeded.


Here the boys are helping with the tallest weeds in our raspberry patch. These are fall-bearing so we won't see fruit until Sept-Oct. I really need my tiller part to come sooner than June 22nd. Some weeds were nearly as tall as the raspberries.




I planted my tomatoes using red plastic. Gurney's claims they do better. My Carrots Love Tomatoes book says they do well with asparagus so that's what the plants are between the red mulch. If you don't pick the asparagus right away they grow tall and spindly and you are supposed to leave them like that until next year. They are growing roots deep down. We didn't get a good crop of asparagus this year. We did better last year. The wheels are decoration. I once planted morning glories on them. Last year it was pole beans and this year I have tomatoes planted in front and back so as they grow I'll tie them to the wheels.



No comments: