courageous

banner

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Maybe I jumped the gun a little...

Maybe the big van won't be ours. I thought it was a done deal. Oh, well. Not to worry. It'll work itself out somehow. We are running to the chiropractor now every couple days. Jordan, Em and I had neck, shoulder and back problems after the roll-over. Nothing major but we need to adjust those places so we can feel well. Isaac continues to amaze me. He got up this morning and after his school was done he made a batch of pancakes and two loaves of banana bread. A friend watched 5 of the kids while I ran to the chiropractor. Thanks so much. The kids had so much fun and got to ride on sleds behind a snowmobile.

Anybody have a yogurt starter they use for cow's milk and that doesn't need a yogurt maker. I'm looking for ideas of where to search. I did an internet search and it didn't produce as many results as I'd like.

2 comments:

Donna said...

Natren makes a yogurt starter, and it's an "authentic Bulgarian" formula. A good friend of mine who writes articles for The Weston Price Foundation won't use anything else.

I make 1.5 gallons of yogurt a week with raw cow's milk, and I do it in half gallon jars. I keep it in a 100 degree oven for eight hours, but you can do it in a crockpot that you heat up and then turn off or in a dehydrator with the trays taken out. I just follow the Nourishing Traditions recipe of heating the milk to 110 and then adding the culture.

Kelly said...

I do ours in the crockpot. I used Stoneyfield farms Organic, plain yogurt for the starter the first time. Here's the recipe/directions I use (this is not my blog and I don't vouch for any content as I've only used this recipe)
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html