courageous

banner

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Here a chick, there a chick, everywhere a chick, chick

The chickens arrived! Yesterday, by mail the chicks were delivered right to our house. They are fun at the beginning. Here is a picture of the layers I ordered. ( OK, I tried over an hour to get the picture straight and it won't do it so I'll leave it like this.) There are 26 rare breed layers. They will grow into some beautiful birds. We also got 50 fluffy, yellow chicks which we will butcher. So far, there isn't a lot of work involved, water and feed and keep warm. The keep warm is a bit of a challenge since it is rainy and 50 degrees today. It does only say 70 in the coop and ideal for chicks is 90 but they are very active and alive.

When it gets warm my poor overworked husband needs to build another chicken run for the meat birds, one the dog can't get into as was the case two years ago. She got 20 some chickens by jumping the fence. Kevin could use your prayers right now. We have had a few mishaps and it is wearing him down. He's trying to work his regular job, his extra job and take care of this place. I hit a rock with the mower and broke the big window on the big van. With only liability ins. it was quite expensive to fix even with them getting a used piece of glass. The other van is in right now because the wind caught the passenger door and now it doesn't work. Last night he spent hours cutting pipe in the basement trying to find the clog. The drain-o stuff wasn't working so he called his plumber friend and Bill gave him some advice. It was solid packed with grease and egg shells and other matter I am sure. I do drain hamburger grease down the sink. It is seldom and not much so I thought it'd go down. Well, it wasn't a good idea. We put egg shells down the disposal because the dog makes a mess of them out in the garage in the bucket we use for garden like waste. Well, I guess we'll be taking it right out to the trees and she can eat them there. So, today we have to wash all dishes in the bathroom. We had a lot to do this morning so we'll be using lots of paper. Kevin is tired. Last week we had a leak in a bathroom, buckets of water in the basement. It proved to be the plumbing in the wall. We have a temporary fix on that.

What next? is all we can ask. These kind of things happen once in awhile in our life and I've learned to just laugh it off and know it will pass. Kevin does usually to. I'm sure you all can relate. Life just gets busier. His biggest feelings of anxiety would be that his children's lives are passing right in front of him and he seems too busy to do anything about it. Truly, I think he does an excellent job of making time for them and making them feel like it. He rarely shoes them away, he tries to include them. Thankfully, he loves the Lord and has that strength to lean on right now.

No comments: