Home grown meals are an exciting time for our family. We make a really big deal over meals made entirely of our own produce. Tonight we had Snowflake roast (Kevin brought home 2 roasts from our butchered goat) roasted with our own onions, mashed potatoes the boys dug up last week with gravy made from the roast, acorn squash sweetened with local honey and store butter, cantaloupe and watermelon picked yesterday, grape juice we canned last year (from grapes about 11 miles from here), sauerkraut made from our cabbage. It was filling and delicious. The roast was very moist and tasty. Kevin wanted to try it so he would know if he should butcher the other new goat. She gives him so much trouble! I guess she'll be going to butcher! :)
In the picture are our pumpkins and gourds! The boys have been invaluable at helping me in the garden during harvest. One day they cut all the squash, another day they cut all the pumpkins and gourds and watermelon and pulled all the squash and pumpkin plants and disposed of them. Today, they picked all the peppers left and pulled those plants. Each day something gets cleaned up and I get to spend my time washing and preparing it. When I had 6 kids under 7 years old it seemed a long way off until they would be helpful enough to take some of the workload. Any young mothers out there, the day does come! A special treasure for me is their enjoyment of the produce. One day I asked Caleb what would it take to have him pick me a big bowl of raspberries (I was going to get him a candy bar). He said I didn't have to pay him because he was going to benefit by eating them this winter :)

No comments:
Post a Comment