courageous

banner

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Family Fun Night...

Here the kids are watching a Lassie movie while they shell peas. We had double the amount from last time. Last time we got two gallon bags in the freezer and we ate some. We were supposed to go camping with my brother's family but we ended up with some virus. Gideon threw up Monday, Isaac had a fever Tuesday and Lena is throwing up today. We keep putting back the day we go out to the lake. I sure hope it's not going through the whole family. We are planning to go tomorrow night now, God willing. The camper is mostly ready.
Here is the final bowl of peas. We had 4 times this when we picked them. There is so much to throw away when you process food, especially peas.

Here are the green beans we picked. I grew 5 varieties of bush beans. I just finished canning 7 quarts. I could can 7 more but then we wouldn't have any to eat! For supper, we are having chicken stir-fry with green beans, pea pods, peas and carrots.

Kale! Rich in iron, vitamin K and a lot of other good things. I juiced over half of this and froze 2 and 1/2 ice cube trays. That is all it made! I even juiced the pulp twice. I might freeze the rest in baggies. I plan on throwing it in soup this winter to add some vitamins. You can process kale, but it takes 1 hour and 25 minutes at 10 lbs pressure. Would there be any vitamins left is my question? Freezing will preserve the most. If you've tried kale before you know it isn't really what anyone would call tasty. We like it fine juiced with apples and carrots. I bought this often to juice for Isaac because it is rich in iron.
I am in my element when the harvest starts! I love to garden. God has given us a bounty this year. I spend a lot of time outside weeding and mowing and cleaning the pool and now painting and I enjoy that time with the Lord. It is when I find the most time to praise Him and to pray. Inside my house I'm filled with good intentions but get pulled a hundred different ways. Outside, I'm sitting there picking beans and thinking and wondering and planning. I don't always mind the kids not helping when I get that time alone. Unfortunately, I have to work at finding time for the Lord. I sure can ask Him for things but yet fall short when it comes to giving Him my time. Anyone out there relate to that? Gardening is a blessing for me in more ways than food to eat! :)



1 comment:

Erin said...

Hi!! This is Erin (foremerly of adopting hope and faith-now blogging at www.afamilyjourneyinliving.com
Haven't checked up on you in so long-I am so sorry. I have spent the last half hour or so back reading on your blog! I am so jealous of your abundant garden-we just finally got ours planted about two 1/2 weeks ago and so far only a few bean plants and all my peas are coming up...we have had a terribly cold spring and beginning to summer and very wet(in the later part of the spring-at first we thought we were going to have a drought year!) Anyway i just wanted to post and say hi and so nice to catch up on all your happenings-glad to hear some improvement with Issac!
Well better go-someone has decided to wake up after only 45 min of sleep grr..!! Blessings
Erin