Thursday: Left at 6:30 a.m. to go to home school convention. Em and Bekah were enrolled in a writing workshop with Andrew Pudewa. He is an excellent writing teacher. Rebekah took me to his booth at the convention and picked up the book on writing style and said you need to buy this for me. It had 500 alternative ways to write said (declared, insisted, rebuked, sighed, etc.) Mr. Pudewa recommended it and she has been busy writing stories ever since we got home. Later that night we went to the civic center for the used book sale. I found a few items I needed. One was a math book I bought for $1. Yeah! Both boys are in the same book so every year I need to buy another since I already have one of all books up until 12th grade. They cost over $50 brand new so $1 was a great deal!
Friday: We were up early to get to the convention center by 8:30 a.m. We enjoyed the day visiting with friends, checking out books and listening to various workshops. We ended the day with a big potluck meal with a group of friends. The kids got to swim and enjoy fellowship with kids they see at these kind of events. We then went over for share night; you could share a song, testimony, skit, whatever for about 5 min. It was about 1 1/2 hours long and so entertaining. Afterwards we stayed and a bunch of kids got out their instruments and sang hymns together. Jordan got to borrow a violin and play a little with them and sing. We had a late night but it was fun.
Saturday: Again, up early to be at the convention by 8:30 a.m. There was a home school choir this year and we wanted to make sure we saw it. A full day again keeping track of kids (I brought the 5 girls with me), looking at vendor's wares, making final purchases, listening to workshop speakers. Mr. Pudewa is one of the best speakers at a home school convention yet. He had an excellent session about How to teach boys when they'd rather be out building forts. He really said a lot of things I knew about boys but many more things that explained a bit about how they are wired differently than girls and how to teach them. It was so excellent. I meant to buy that session on CD but forgot. We ended up doing the potluck by the pool with another large group of people and left for home about 10 p.m. getting us there about midnight! We had to stay up and share with Kevin and the boys all we had experienced so it was 2 a.m. before we were in bed! What a night! The Convention is one of my favorite things to do during the year!

No comments:
Post a Comment