courageous

banner

Friday, April 27, 2012

Asparagus...

 Yesterday, this is what my asparagus looked like in the garden.   It's hard to see but there are lots of tall shoots of asparagus.  They took awhile to come but there were plenty out there.  It's our best yield yet.
 Here is that same asparagus!  We had roasted asparagus for supper tonight.  I tossed it in olive oil, sprinkled coarse salt on it, some pepper and minced fresh garlic on it.  I put in the oven at 450 degrees for 20 minutes.  I really liked it.  Kevin ate quite a bit (not sure he "liked" it cause he eats anything) and everyone else had to try it.  It was hard work for Gideon to take a bite but Rebekah had made oatmeal bars with caramel frosting so the ones that didn't like it choked it down quite quickly when told they wouldn't get a bar without eating it :) 
We had a fresh lettuce salad.  I cut the lettuce tonight.  It's fun to see it keep growing in the tunnel and it's a nice addition to any meal.  Em made some home made French dressing and Jordan made some buttermilk ranch dressing and it was well received.  We also made meatballs tonight with two avocados mashed in it and a big spoon of squash.  I forgot to add eggs to it but they turned out well.  I added some coarse salt and garlic powder in them and they were so moist and delicious.  You can't tell there are avocados or squash in them.  If you want to add nutrition to your food without your family knowing it, here is a great way to do it.  We do the same thing with meatloaf, when we have avocados on hand.  I imagine it would help out a hamburger too.  My hamburgers tend to be dry inside and need lots of condiments!! :) 

No comments: