courageous

banner

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Another market day...

 New Vendor at the Market!  Natural Crossroads Farms!  They had yummy looking caramel rolls and other good things for sale.  Emmy made some home made lefse! 
 The girls and I were working on the appearance of our table.  Jordan helped me come up with some labels and ways to display the jams and jellies.  We made a lot of bread and we took home a bit too much but the family is enjoying trying out some of the new ones I made this time, like, cinnamon twists, sweet potato bread, glazed poppy seed bread and a new cranberry nut.  I made a Swiss Cheese with minced garlic that sold out (all 3 loaves :)  The favorite this time was the Canadian Brown (an oatmeal molasses bread made with 100% whole wheat).  I made so many other new bread that I only made 3 of this kind and it was asked for time and again.  I know what to do next market.  The next market if the first Thursday of May.  4-7 p.m. in the Town Center Square.
 Emmy and Penny were in orange.  It looked like a picture moment to capture them!

Jessica makes different treats for the market!  She made cupcakes, cookies and some of those  bird nests with jelly beans in them.  Rebekah bought a bag and has been enjoying eating them. 

 My neighbors Jim and Darlene were there selling embroidered goods.  I'm sure she takes orders!  Beautiful work with her embroidery machine.  We had a good visit. 
 Signs of Spring!  Asparagus popping up in the garden! 
I wanted to try some strawberries in the high tunnel so I picked out Seascape, a day neutral variety.  If the information holds true, I can pick the blossoms off until July and we will have a good Fall crop of strawberries.  I'm interested in finding out how early they will  produce next year with some of the warm weather I have in the tunnel in March in April.  It's an experiment of sorts until we know what grows well in our area in the high tunnel.
Right now, lettuce is doing very well.  We need to get out and do some weeding.  A  hard part of the tunnel is working in it.  I don't have that much ambition to start gardening earlier than usual and all the stuff that comes with it; weeding, watering, pests, wind damage, etc.  We had to cover the tomato plants last night in the tunnel because they look like they got touched by the cold nights.  It looks like we are in for some colder weather next week so I have to be vigilant to get out there and check. 

No comments: