courageous

banner

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Market is over!!!

 We are still enjoying our home grown produce.  The other night we had rice/hamburger,tomato stuffed peppers with steamed cauliflower (from our garden) and a veggie tray that had peppers, radishes, cucumber, and zucchini all from our garden!  I found some radishes which made one market customer very happy on Thursday. 
 Thursday, Oct. 3rd was our last day of market in Wahpeton.  It was the first time I went without baking any bread and it was wonderful!  We sold a lot of spicy pickled carrots and quite a few jams.  I had 24 varieties of veggies and fruits!  It was a beautiful varitey of veggies.
 It was a great last day of market.  It was cold and rainy but the customers were there and steady.  Kale and tomatoes were the top sellers.  Gideon cut three baskets of Kale and one customer bought 4 bunches!  It was a very popular vegetable.  The carrots, tomatoes, grean beans, squash, leeks, cabbage, kohlrabi, and radishes all sold out and most of everything else.  I had a great time selling at market this year.
 Even though the hail took out some of our crops we had a productive year.  We just had a lot less of some things. 
 I actually need to buy one more table for next year.  We can't quite fit everything on our 3 six foot tables.  It's a good problem to have! 
The kids were so great this year.  They each had a veggie or two that they were responsible for and Rebekah got to help a lot with taking money. Customers were so nice and they'd give her a 20 and help her figure out the change.  She mostly did customers who only  bought bread.  She learned how to display the veggies and the jams and breads and enjoyed that part of it.  Thanks to the kids and their hard work this summer we were able to go to several camps, put money away for music lessons, school books, and other things.  I'm proud of the kids and hope they are up for another year.

I'm also happy and relieved it is over for the year.  I commented to Emily as I was washing laundry and making supper yesterday and having a "normal" day at home with the kids that I felt so relieved and "normal" again.  I missed having those kind of days this summer.  There really wasn't a day that was free of market duties; either canning something, weeding, picking, planting, or cleaning someone's elses house.  I spent most of Monday and Tuesday this week cleaning the house and it feels "normal" again without the market supplies everywhere.  Now onto the best adventure of the year: schooling the kids.  We've got some great books to go through this year.  It's Emily's last year and Lena's first!  Praise God for his goodness this summer! 

No comments: